The Ogun State Government has made a fresh statement in reaction to reports of having approved a member of the House of Representatives, Prince Ademorin Aliu Kuye, to mount the vacant throne of Awujale of Ijebuland.
The Fusengbuwa Ruling House, whose turn it is to present the next king, has shortlisted 95 contestants—including 94 princes and one princess—during a nomination meeting held recently at Bisi Rodipe Hall, GRA, Ijebu Ode.
The panel kept the lid on the identities of those cleared.
Stating its position on Saturday in a statement by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, the administration said it was neither involved in nor endorsed any such claim.
The statement read: “Attention has been drawn to rumours circulating in certain quarters alleging that the Ifa oracle has chosen Prince Ademorin Aliu Kuye as the next Awujale of Ijebuland and that the State Government has endorsed or supported this purported outcome.”
It explained that the selection and installation of the Awujale would strictly be guided by applicable laws, established procedures, and recognised traditional customs.
“Any suggestion that the Government has adopted or approved a candidate through an oracle or any informal process is false, misleading, and should be disregarded by the public.”
The state government disclosed that the process for filling the vacant stool had been temporarily halted.
The statement read, “Furthermore, the Ogun State Government wishes to inform all stakeholders and the general public that the process for filling the vacant stool of the Awujale of Ijebuland has presently been halted.
“This decision was taken in view of the various complaints and petitions received concerning the selection procedure. The temporary suspension is to allow for due review and to ensure that the process remains transparent, lawful, and acceptable to all concerned parties.”
The government further urged the public to rely solely on official communications and to avoid spreading rumours that could create tension or misunderstanding.
“The Government remains committed to maintaining peace, order, and respect for due process and traditional institutions across the State,” the statement concluded.
The Awujale stool became vacant in July 2025 after the death of 91-year-old Oba Sikiru Adetona, who reigned for 65 years.
Earlier, on December 18, 2025, the state government suspended the process over procedural errors that could trigger litigation.
The government said the decision to halt the process was to protect public order, safeguard the integrity of the selection, and maintain the prestige of the stool.

