Police Reveal Identity Of Victim, Name Of Killer Squad Leader In Assassination Attempt On Davido, Gov Adeleke
The Osun State Police Command says music star David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, was the target of the gun attack that occurred during Governor Ademola Adeleke’s visit to the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo on Wednesday.
The police gave the name of a 60-year-old man unfortunately shot dead by the attackers as Tajudeen Yusuf.
They also gave the name of the leader of the gang of gunmen.
According to police reports, the suspected cultists later left the area but allegedly shot Yusuf at Itaolokan area of Osogbo while fleeing.
The incident occurred shortly after the Governor received his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) following his victory in the August 15 governorship election.
Governor Adeleke had visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, accompanied by Davido and other members of his entourage.
The Governor’s security escorts engaged suspected hoodlums in a gun battle around the palace, causing panic among residents and traders in the Oja Oba area.
Some residents said sporadic gunshots were heard for more than 15 minutes as the security personnel returned fire.
However, the police have now provided further details on the circumstances surrounding the incident.
The Osun State Police Public Relations Officer, Abiodun Ojelabi, said preliminary findings showed that members of the Eiye Confraternity allegedly targeted Davido.
According to him, one Adebayo Taoreed, popularly known as “Small Rugged”, allegedly attempted to gain access to Davido but was stopped by members of the Singer’s security team.
Ojelabi described Taoreed as an ex-convict, notorious thug and alleged member of the Eiye Confraternity.
“The ensuing confrontation reportedly attracted other suspected gang members in the vicinity, who temporarily blocked the entrance to the palace and obstructed the movement of the convoy of the Governor,” the police spokesman said.
“Upon receiving the information, the police immediately mobilised a patrol team to the scene, where the victim was found lying in a pool of blood,” he said.
Yusuf was subsequently rushed to the University Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, but was pronounced dead by doctors on duty.
The police spokesman said the command had launched a full-scale investigation into the incident and intensified efforts to identify and arrest the suspects.
The Commissioner of Police (Election), Osun State Command, CP Samuel Etaifo, condemned the killing and assured residents that the police would deploy all available resources to bring those responsible to justice.
The command also appealed to members of the public with useful information about the incident to approach the nearest police station or contact the police through its official channels.
It urged residents to remain calm and avoid taking the law into their own hands.
EYEWITNESSES SPEAK
An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the governor and his entourage were received by the monarch, to whom Adeleke reportedly presented his Certificate of Return.
According to the eyewitness, trouble started as the meeting was coming to an end after the monarch had offered prayers.
She said Adeleke had already left the palace hall through an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside the vehicle conveying him and his close aides when heavy gunshots were heard.
She said the suspected attackers arrived in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”
A trader near the palace, identified simply as Munirat, alleged that the assailants may have learnt of the governor’s visit and waited for his arrival.
She said the attackers damaged the palace’s main gate and exchanged gunfire with security personnel before retreating.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”
The incident caused residents and traders in the area to flee their businesses and seek safety as the gunfire continued.
When contacted, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, Kolapo Alimi, confirmed the attack.
Alimi said the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the assailants, adding that no casualty was recorded.
The identity and motive of the attackers were not immediately disclosed.
