DISCLAIMER ON THE LETTER PURPORTEDLY WRITTEN BY RT. HON. EDISON EHIE DSSRS- MEMBER REPRESENTING AHOADA EAST CONSTITUENCY
- The attention of the Rivers State House of Assembly has been drawn to a letter dated 29 December, 2023, addressed to the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and circulating in the media. It was purportedly written and signed by Rt. Hon. Edison Ehie DSSRS – member representing Ahoada East Constituency II in the Rivers State of Assembly wherein he claimed to have resigned from the position of the Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly, an office he never occupied.
- I am therefore directed to call on the good people of Rivers State to disregard the false claim in this letter that is intended to mislead the unsuspecting public. Rt. Hon. Edison Ehie DSSRS was never at any time in the life of the Rivers State House of Assembly elected a Speaker. The Office of the Speaker of the Rivers State House of Assembly is a creation of the 1999 Constitution (As altered) and should not be ridiculed by any member who swore to preserve it and abide by the Constitution.
- As a matter of fact, on Monday, the 5th day of June, 2023, after the proclamation of the 10th Rivers State House of Assembly by the Governor, and in line with Section 92 (1) of the 1999 Constitution (As altered), I, as the then Acting Clerk of the House, conducted the election that produced Rt. Hon. Martin Chike Amaewhule, DSSRS, as the Speaker of the 10th Rivers State House of Assembly by the unanimous votes of all other thirty-one (31) members sitting and present. It is also imperative to state that, from the 5* day of June, 2023, when he was elected till today, Rt. Hon. Martin Chike Amaewhule DSSRS, has been performing his duties as the Speaker.
- I am further directed to use this medium to advise and warn all purveyors of misleading information against the House to desist forthwith and also call on security agencies to act accordingly in order to ensure the rule of law.
- This disclaimer is therefore intended to set the records straight and for the avoidance of doubt from the public that the House is empowered to legislate for.
- The Public is implored to take note accordingly.
Mr. Emeka Amadi PhD
Clerk, Rivers State House of Assembly.