HomeForeignLong Live The King… UK Denies Russian TV News Of King Charles'...

Long Live The King… UK Denies Russian TV News Of King Charles’ Death

Pro-Vladimir Putin Russian media outlets have run a fake news story alleging that King Charles died unexpectedly on Sunday.

A screenshot of a mocked up non-existent Buckingham Palace death announcement spread widely in Russia. Several prominent outlets reported the bogus news but it was not immediately clear if Vladimir Putin ’s propaganda machine was directly behind it.

The sick stunt involving the monarch followed criticism in Britain and other Western countries of Putin’s election ‘victory’ in a ‘rigged’ presidential election. The British embassy’s Telegram channel posted a notice in Russian to stress the reports were fake.

‌“Reports about the death of King Charles III of Great Britain are fake,” said the announcement. The British Embassy in Ukraine issued a similar message. Early outlets running the fake report were Readkovka and Mash – both staunchly pro-Putin outlets, later correcting them.

‌Mash media outlet wrote: “Britain’s King Charles III has died, Buckingham Palace reports. The son of Elizabeth II ascended the throne less than a year ago – the coronation took place on May 6, 2023. He was 75 years old. It updated to say “the message turned out to be fake” while adding: “Let us remember that a few months ago he was diagnosed with cancer.”

‌And later the outlet stated: “The fake news about the death of Charles III quickly spread and was just as quickly debunked. The King of Great Britain is alive and continues to go about his business. At least that’s what Buckingham Palace says. Officials said the same thing after the first news of the death of Elizabeth II. Literally four hours later an official statement was issued: the Queen had died. What was it and is everything so rosy for the current British monarch?”

‌Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov’s spokeswoman Maria Zakharova joined the fray, posting: “London looks pathetic.”

Pro-Kremlin BAZA online media posted: “The Russian media reported the death of British King Charles III with reference to a document allegedly published by Buckingham Palace. The screenshot of the message about the death of Charles III turned out to be fake.” The fake Palace announcement was dated today and said: “The King passed away unexpectedly yesterday afternoon.”‌

‌Russian state news outlet RIA Novosti corrected its earlier report while admitting it was based on “rumours”, stating: “The press service of Buckingham Palace denied RIA Novosti rumours about the death of King Charles III. He continues to conduct official and private affairs. Information about Charles’ death appeared some time ago in many Russian sources. The basis for it was a certain message, the authorship of which was attributed to Buckingham Palace and which, apparently, turned out to be a fake.”

State news agency TASS reported that the story was fake. The Kremlin’s own newspaper Rossiyskaya Gazeta, published by Putin’s government, wrote: “King Charles III continues to carry out work and private affairs, Buckingham Palace said. Previously, many Telegram channels published unverified and false information about the death of the monarch.”

MIRROR UK

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

AD

Must Read

spot_img